Scroll to view my Technical Editing and Manuscript Editing services and an explanation of Editorial Rates.
I have 9+ years of experience and in 2021 completed a rigorous program to obtain a Certificate in Editing from the University of Washington. I provide the following professional editing services:
- Interview directly or review info. provided by subject matter experts and translate their complex technical concepts into easy-to-understand language
- Copy edit and proofread existing documents for simpler comprehension while conforming to corporate style guides
Work example → Wrote script dialogue used in video narration for internal IT training at an international technology firm
Work example → Copy edited 15,000-word engineering proposals and associated documentation for an international architecture/engineering firm
Business Content Editing
- Copy edit and proofread website content
- Generate unique and SEO-optimized website content
- Edit or create social media content that matches company brand and maximizes interaction and page views
Work example → Copy edited and added keywords to a 1,100-word SEO blog post for a small business tile showroom that improved their Google search results ranking and resulted in 3x as many unique client contacts
Work example → Drafted entirely new copy for a San Francisco-based small business during a site-wide refresh and rebranding effort
- Brainstorm and edit materials for new or flourishing small businesses to expand their outreach and gain new clients
- Copy edit and proofread marketing plans, executive summaries, resumes, etc. for small businesses applying for loan applications or other financial sponsorship
Work example → Copy edited and proofread a 1,200-word executive summary for a Seattle cafe start-up that was successfully used in its search for financial sponsors
My newest professional venture and long-time passion project. I give preference to indie authors and writers interested in self-publishing.
Developmental / Structural Edits
Performed during the first-draft stage, or perhaps even before the entire manuscript has been prepared.
- Assess the manuscript concept and closely coordinate with the author to craft a cohesive and fully formed story structure
- Review manuscript drafts or sections for the logical organization of ideas and compare the final written material to the content outline developed by the author in the planning phase
Performed after the second draft (or third, or fourth) is completed, or whenever the author is confident in their plot and has moved on to finessing the language of the manuscript.
- Review the entire manuscript draft or sections on a line-by-line and paragraph-by-paragraph basis to evaluate word choice, sentence structure variation, and reading flow
A Note on Editorial Rates
Every project and client is unique and, therefore, involves a different level of work. I set rates that I believe are fair for myself and my clients. In almost every case, this means I’ll request a sample of the work materials so that I can calculate accurate time and cost estimates.
I prefer to charge an hourly rate, but can accept per-project fees if the client makes a good case for it. I request a deposit (25-50%) for long-term projects, such as manuscript edits.
To get a sense of editorial rates and costs, I recommend referring to this guide from the Northwest Editors Guild.